If you have a pet then you may struggle with what to do when you have to spend time away from home, whether it is for one night or longer you will need to decide what to do. In today's post, our Perry vets discuss options for pet care while you are away and what to think about if you consider boarding your dog or cat.
Leaving Your Pet While Traveling
Our vets know that it can be stressful to decide the best option for your pet while you are away. Whether you will only be gone for a day or it is an extended trip you will need to take all options into consideration. It is a good idea to discuss your time away with your vet to help determine what might work best for your pet's unique needs.
At-Home Pet Care
Advantages of Having Your Pet Cared For at Home:
- You pet can stay in a familiar space
- You won't be responsible for damage to other people's property
- Your pet has all of their usual toys
- No chance of fights with other animals
- Your pet can continue their typical routine
- Your animal caretaker also provides some home safety
- You are able to just leave everything and go
Disadvantages of At-Home Care For Your Pet:
- Possibility of loneliness if your pet is alone most of the time
- Your pet may miss a feeding or usual walk time
- There may be accidents that occur
- Your pet may be worried about you
- If the caretaker is a stranger your pet may attack
Pet Care at Boarding Facilities
Advantages of Utilizing Boarding Facilities To Care For Your Pet:
- Your pet will be able to socialize at all times
- Your pet will receive regular exercise and attention
- Your pet will be stimulated by the new atmosphere
- Your pet will be less likely to become lonely
Disadvantages of Boarding For Pets:
- New environments can be stressful
- There could be fights with other animals
- The facility may primarily keep your pet in a kennel
- You will need to facilitate drop-off and pick up
Boarding For Your Pet While You Are Away
Rest assured that today's dog boarding facilities aren't the grim places they once were. These days your dog can be pampered and have fun socializing and playing while you're away. Kennels are kept clean and fresh-smelling, and dogs are treated to plenty of love and attention.
A quick google search can help you find animal boarding facilities in your area ranging from pet spas and doggie summer camps to medical boarding for dogs that require extra love and attention, with price points that range from extravagant to affordable.
If you are in the process of deciding which boarding facility to take your dog to, be sure to check out a few different places in your area to find a facility that best suits the needs of your pet, and your wallet.
Features of the Pet Boarding Facility
The daily price of boarding is a good indication of the level of service provided at a given dog boarding facility. If your canine companion will be treated to luxurious hotel-like spaces with comfy sofas to lounge on and tv to watch, you're going to pay more than you would to board your pet at a standard facility with clean roomy crates and fenced dog runs.
If you want your dog to enjoy an active outdoor adventure while you're traveling, a fun camp experience may be ideal. Dog camps across the country offer loads of time for your dog to explore outdoors, as well as added facilities in some cases for swimming and playing with other dogs.
As you narrow down your list of preferred kennels it's important to keep in mind that extravagant facility features don't necessarily add up to better care for your pet, and can get very pricey.
Choosing the Appropriate Care For Your Pet
Dog care while for while you're on vacation will typically be priced based on the level of service you choose. Luxury accommodations will be far more expensive per day than a standard kennel.
Typical Dog Boarding Facility Features:
- A clean, roomy kennel for your dog to sleep and relax in
- Exercise time outdoors before breakfast so your dog can stretch their legs
- Breakfast served in the kennel
- Out of kennel playtime in the middle of the day to allow your pup to burn off energy
- Dinner served in the kennel
- Evening bathroom break
Perks of Specialized Dog or Cat Boarding Facilities:If you are looking for something a bit more special than a standard boarding facility, many facilities also offer the following services:
- Specialized veterinary care
- Shuttle services to and from the facility
Best Choice For Boarding for Your Pet While You Are Away
Pet parents often experience anxiety about leaving their dog while on vacation. Finding suitable cat or dog boarding while you are on your vacation will ultimately come down to personal preference, price and availability in your neighborhood. Taking the time to research the pet boarding facilities in the area as well as speaking with your vet can help determine which option is right for your pet and your budget.
Boarding For Pets at Perry Animal Hospital
At Perry Animal Hospital we understand that it can be stressful to leave your pet - especially if they are ill, or when they are recovering from a procedure or surgery. Our goal is to put help put your mind at ease by providing your dog with the care they need while you're away. We provide complete boarding services for pets with a disease or medical condition that requires medication and/or monitoring that some standard boarding facilities for pets may not be equipped to accommodate.
At our cat and dog boarding facility, our friendly and experienced staff are here to provide the care your dog needs while you are on vacation or away from home. We offer standard boarding for healthy pets who need a safe and friendly place to stay while you're away. We like to think of your pet's stay with us as a vacation for them as well. We will be sure to give your pet lots of love and attention to keep them feeling happy and contented.